CCNZ CEO Peter Silcock and a number of Tier One contractors attended the NZTA Health and Safety Leaders Forum on Monday 27 May.
Mr Silcock raised the Road Works Site Health and Safety Improvement Programme, which CCNZ has developed in collaboration with NZTA, Worksafe and others. The following was agreed:
- Sign-off on the terms of reference for the programme
- Establish a governance group and a working group
- Focus work on four major areas
- Road user education and awareness
- Enforcement of road rules around speeding and driver inattention
- Changing and improving Industry best practice
- Aligning procurement to support industry best practice
This programme aims to protect people working on or passing through work sites, reducing the instances of serious injury and personal harm to include anyone who working on or near the road whether this work is on transport, three waters or utilities networks.
CCNZ Technical Manager Stacy Goldsworthy has also been working collaboratively with members and NZTA around temporary traffic management and how to move to a risk based approach supported by a decision making framework and other tools.